Sophia Wilson has shared her photography skills with The Secret Society of Ex Mermaids several times over the last two years. We asked her questions and she answered them…
Check out her photography here: http://www.sophiawilson.nyc
Age, Year in School 16, 11th grade
Home town New York, NY
1. What is your default, everyday outfit? Or do you have one?
Well I try to change it up a lot, but for school I often wear a pair of ripped or frayed jeans, one of my Calvin Klein X Opening Ceremony bralettes (a total go-to), a vintage inspired graphic tee or a sweater, and my Rihanna Puma X Fenty white creepers (another definite must-have).
2. What Instagram accounts inspire you the most?
@girlgaze, @tylersphotos, @glossier, @nataliefongphoto, @milkmakeup, @openingceremony, and @glossier are just a few!
3. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
Quite honestly I’d stay right here in the heart of NYC. I can’t imagine anywhere greater!
4. Aside from photography, do you have any hidden talents?
I also play softball, I draw, I paint, and I’m also really interested in fashion designing.
5. What’s your best subject at school? Worst?
Obviously my best subject is photography, but other than that I’m also really good a science. My worst subject is History.
6. What was the last thing you googled?
“Best burgers in Manhattan”
7. Do you have a secret vice or indulgence?
For sure- the chocolate chip cookies from The City Bakery are definitely it. I could eat those for days!
8. What was the last photo you took on your phone?
A hilarious picture of me and my little sister laughing and screaming at each other in a Madewell dressing room trying on some really cool jeans. I’d attach it here but it would (falsely) make me seem like an awful big sister!
9. Is there anything hot pink within 3 yards of you right now? What is it?
Surprisingly, a lot! My sister’s Fjallraven Kanken, a gift bag, the writing on my calendar, a roll of wrapping paper, a bracelet, an old wallet, and a funky necklace from an 80’s costume party.
10. Do you have a celebrity crush? If so, who?
Desiigner and Adam Levine
11. Have you ever reread a book? Which one?
Hmm, I’m not really the one to read the same book multiple times. I always find a new one!
12. Do you have a nick name? Do you like it?
Yes, multiple actually. Some people call me Soph or Phia, and my sister (unintentionally) calls me Sphia. I like them all!
13. What emojis do you overuse?
14. Early bird or Night Owl?
15. ‘I am currently obsessed with…’
16. How do you unwind?
Listening to music while editing photos on my computer.
17. Do you sleep with any stuffed animals?
An insane amount
18. If you could live in any era, which one would it be and why?
Right now, because there are so many opportunities made available to us through technological advancements, yet not overwhelmingly so.
19. Text or Snapchat?
20. What’s your starbucks/coffee order?
I don’t like coffee or starbucks?
21. Have you ever had a broken heart?
22. What color was your mermaid tail?
Sparkly pastelle pink
23. Where did your name come from?
My parents said they just really liked it!
24. Do you have a favorite artist or genre of art? Who/what is it?
One of my favorite artists is James Merry- I really love the art of embroidery.
25. Do you have a favorite word at the moment? Favorite expression?
Word: heinous; expression: over it!
Some of Sophia’s photos for Ex Mermaid and her latest selfie 😉